Update 3/25/20: Until further notice, new visitor applications will be held until we know when MIT will return to normal operations. Prospective visitors may still submit an application, but no decisions will be made until we have clarity on when visits can resume.

Visiting Scholars

Visiting Scholars are established in their field and possess a Ph.D. or its equivalent. Visiting Scholars are expected to provide their own funding to support their stay. They are not enrolled in a degree program elsewhere. Generally, visitors stay for a maximum of one year.

Postdoctoral Fellows

The Postdoctoral Fellow title is used for those who join the MIT community soon after receiving their doctorate. Working under the supervision of MIT faculty members, postdoctoral fellows come to MIT to develop their scholarly competence. Postdoctoral Fellows are expected to provide their own funding to support their stay.

Visiting Students

Visiting Student status is available to qualified students enrolled in a degree program at another university. Normally, such Visiting Students are engaged in their dissertation research or are writing their dissertations. Visiting Students must be at MIT for at least three weeks and no longer than one year.

Exchange Scholars

The Exchange Scholar Program enables a graduate student enrolled in a doctoral program in one of the participating institutions to study at one of the other graduate schools for a limited period of time in order to take advantage of particular educational opportunities not available on the home campus. The academic experience, including courses taken and/or research conducted with particular faculty at the visited institution, will be registered on the academic record maintained by the student’s home institution.

Special Students

Special Students are Visiting Students who wish to receive academic credit for courses taken at MIT. They need to apply for the status of "Special Student." Please note that Special Students are charged tuition fees. For more information, please visit http://web.mit.edu/professional/advanced-study/ or http://specialstudent.mit.edu