Professor of Spanish & Linguistics emeritus
MIT Linguistics and Philosophy
77 Massachusetts Avenue, 32-D808
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Phonology, Spanish, Historical Linguistics
- Syllable Structure and Stress in Spanish: A Nonlinear Analysis. Linguistic Inquiry Monograph 8, Cambridge: MIT Press, 158 pages, 1983.
- "The Accentual Patterns of Verb Paradigms in Spanish." Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 5, 61-90, 1987.
- "Sonority and Syllabification in Spanish." J. deCesaris and C. Kirschner (eds) Current Research in Romance Linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1988.
- "The Stress Erasure Convention and Cliticization in Spanish." Linguistic Inquiry, 20(3), 1989.
- (with M. Halle and J-R. Vergnaud) "A Reexamination of the Stress Erasure Convention and Spanish Stress." Linguistic Inquiry, 22, 1990.
- "The Exponence of Gender in Spanish." Linguistic Inquiry, 22, 1990.
- "The Form Classes of Spanish Substantives." Yearbook of Morphology, 2, 65-88, 1992.
- "With Respect to Accentual Constituents in Spanish." H. Campos and F. Martínez-Gil (eds) Current Studies in Spanish Linguistics. Washington: Georgetown University Press, 1992.
- "Integrity of Prosodic Constituents and the Domain of Syllabification Rules in Spanish and Catalan." In K. Hale and S.J. Keyser (eds) The View from Building 20: Essays in Linguistics in Honor of Sylvain Bromberger. 177-193, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press 1993.
- "Projection and Edge Marking in the Computation of Stress in Spanish." In John Goldsmith (ed) A Handbook of Phonological Theory. 867-887, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1994.
- "The morphology of Spanish clitics." In H. Campos and P. Kempchinsky (eds.), Evolution and Revolution in Linguistic Theory, Washington, Georgetown University Press, 168-197, 1995.
- "The syntax and morphology of Class Marker suppression in Spanish." In K. Zagona (ed.), Grammatical Theory and Romance Languages, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 99-122, 1996.
- "Why n'ho is pronounced [li] in Barceloni Catalan." In B. Bruening, Y Kang, and M. McGinnis (eds.), MIT Working Papers in Linguistics, 30, 451-479, 1997.
- "Enclitic -n in Spanish." In A. Schwegler, B. Tranel, and M. Uribe-Etxebarria (eds.), Romance Linguistics; Theoretical Perspectives, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 111-127, 1998.
- "Spanish imperatives: syntax meets morphology." Journal of Linguistics, 34, 27-52, 1998.